Modern Apprentice, Finance, Head Office, Edinburgh
Modern Apprenticeship, Finance
SCQF Level 5/6
Head Office, Edinburgh
Fixed-Term 18-months (with possible extension)
(35 hours per week)
14 December 2018, 12 noon.
VLA Recruit are recruiting for an exciting Finance Modern Apprentice opportunity on behalf of Blackwood Homes and Care. This role requires someone who is organised, structured and has a willingness to learn within a busy finance team. The ideal candidate should be enthusiastic, eager and quick to learn. Attention to detail and consistency is essential along with the ability to understand our client’s wider objectives.
Reporting to the Financial Accountant and working closing with the Finance Assistants, the role of Finance Modern Apprentice is based in Blackwood’s Head Office in Edinburgh City Centre. The main aims of this role are to support efficient and effective financial accounting and payroll processing through the accurate input of financial and payroll data and adherence to approved procedures.
Daily tasks will include;
· Accurately inputting into Blackwood’s financial accounting records and systems including, Purchase ledger, Procure to Pay, Sales ledger, Services queries, Rent Accounting and Rechargeable Repairs.
· Support processing of new starts/leavers, expenses and overtime and support employees, managers and Business Support Officers with payroll queries and payroll processes.
· Support efficient and effective finance systems to ensure robust financial controls across Blackwood through supporting the Financial Accountant with development and maintenance of finance and payroll systems to streamline financial administration.
· Proactively seek improvements to processes and investigate problems, making recommendations to change financial and payroll procedures and policies.
· Input to non-financial systems development such as rent collections and how systems work together to achieve Blackwood’s objectives.
· Liaising with colleagues confidently and constructively and making efficient use of all relevant IT systems and undertaking any other tasks required.
What will I learn?
The AAT Accounting qualification will provide you with practical accounting and finance knowledge and skills while working as part of the Finance team in a friendly, inclusive open-plan environment. The apprentice will be given financial support for qualification with time off for exam days and flexible working arrangements to help with studying together with guidance and on-the-job training and support. Achieving the qualification will give you the skills and introductory experience to begin a career pathway within finance and accounting. The level 2 certificate in accounting is the first level of the qualification and is suitable for people new in finance. It covers a range of basic accounting practices and techniques from costing and double entry bookkeeping to computerised accounting.
All your Modern Apprenticeship training will be provided by The Virtual Learning Academy.
What we’re looking for?
It is essential that you are highly organised, have good numeracy, verbal and written communication skills and have an enthusiasm to develop a career in finance. You will also have knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office especially Excel and a drive to engage and build relationships with different regional teams, providing a high-quality customer experience.
Desired but not essential;
Maths National 5 pass, English National 4 pass, Business Studies National 5 Pass
Knowledge and experience of accounting IT systems
Ability to think creatively to support colleagues and the wider business
An Information Pack is available for download here:
To apply, please contact Louise@virtuallearningacademy.co.uk for an application pack. If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact the HR team on 0131 317 7227.
Closing Date 14th December 2018, 12 noon.